Friday 25 November 2011

Introducing......Liz and David!!!!!!!

Team Taylor Deportation/Repatriation Countdown:

Days left in Singapore:  27
Days left until arrival in the Queen City:  34

Family,

And a good Saturday afternoon to you all from across the globe after another GREAT DAY in the Lion City.  IT'S THE WEEKEND!!!!!!  It's been typically November weather in SG today, alternating between the surface of the sun and rain storms that feel like Armageddon.  However, the Bull did get out of bed at 8:30 this morning to log a 5K on the treadmill downstairs.  I turned in a 22:50 for the 3.1 miles, so about a 7:22 pace.  On the whole I was pleased, as I felt pretty strong.  Having a day off every now and then really helps...

More Charlotteans experiencing the Green Monster - this brings
a tear to my eye.
As for my Singapore observation of the week - a lot of folks have been out of the office this week "clearing their leave."  You see, unlike in Britain where folks use their full vacation entitlement traveling and galavanting all over the globe, my observation is that Singaporeans by and large just don't really like the idea of traveling.  Maybe it's the opinion so prevalent here that Indonesia and Malaysia are instant death traps once you get your passport stamped, but whatever the reason - folks just don't travel around the region.  And so, at this late point in the year, folks aren't "going on vacation" - they are just "clearing their leave."  And when you ask them what they are planning during the 1-2 weeks away, the answer is invariably the same - SLEEPING.  Now it's not true for everyone, but I have heard that exact same answer time and time again in November.  Obviously, since I only work about 4 days a year and take the other 361 off, this approach just doesn't compute with me...

The secret - startle an old Aussie couple as they check out, tell
them that "you collect keys and have already checked out,"
convince them to give you there's, take the free ride to the
rooftop bar, and then flash the card once you are topside, and
BOO-YAH!!!!!  Just always remember to pay cash up top...
Now I have been rather remiss this week in not introducing a pair of new characters to the blog, so let me correct that error now.  Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you, all the way from the Queen City of Charlotte, NC, by way of a 12 hour connection in Hong Kong - Liz Wade and David McGibbon!!!  They arrived here on Tuesday night, and much like Liz's brother Jason and his fiance Rebecca - these guys have been a FORCE OF NATURE cutting through Singapore (and without Sven the human spark plug to encourage them!).  I typed out a list of activities for them when they arrived, and they've sawed through them like Buzzsaw from "The Running Man" (yes, I went there).  Case in point - right now they are at THE MARINA BAY SANDS INFINITY POOL ON THE 57TH FLOOR.  This is the part where you say, "Sam, you have to be a guest to swim there, right?"  And I say, "Yes, unless you take the free elevator pass to Ku De Ta and then sweet talk a group of Aussies into GIVING YOU THEIR KEY."  Seriously, before we set out today (heading to Boomerang for brekkie, of course), Liz loaded up her backpack and said, "You know, I'm just gonna throw our swim suits in here just in case."  Sure enough - she had accomplished the Holy Grail of Singapore tourism - a swim at the infinity pool.  I am TRULY impressed.  Jason - I think you're gonna get an earful about this one, as Liz is feelin' pretty good about the "one-up" on this. :-)

Dragonboat racing along the Singapore River - we saw this
on the walk to  Marina Bay Sands, and it was REALLY cool.
More to come on this tomorrow.
Work was actually crazy this week for the first time in awhile, and it felt really good to have some pressure, deadlines, and so much to do that the prioritization lists had to come out.  The flip side, however, was that I didn't get a chance to hang with them on Turkey Day.  However, we got a chance to have dinner together on Wednesday (we hit the Pump Room, and they picked up my IPA's and pork belly, that was soooooooooooo guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud...peppy cheekies - thanks, guys!), and it was a cool scene with the live music. 

On Thanksgiving night, I got home about 9:30, fired up the laptop, and then began Skyping mom.  We talked at full volume for about 30 minutes, at which point I hung up and was about to shut down when I heard snoring coming from the spare bedroom.  Sure enough, they'd come back for a "30 minute power nap" and ended up sleeping for TEN STRAIGHT HOURS.  I was talking at my normal 120 decibels, and they didn't stir a bit.  CLASSIC.

We also hit one of the other staples last night, rocking up to....RED DOT, BABY!!!!!  Oh, yeah - they needed the Green Monster, as I feel it is a staple of the Singapore experience.  We rocked up to this place (they'd just left One Altitude), and the hostess said she'd get us a table (the place was HEAVING).  Well, her approach to "getting us a table" wasn't the whole "I'll find some empty ones and consolidate," but rather, "I'll walk up to these two slutty looking girls who've been applying make-up for the last ten minutes and aren't drinking and kick their asses out of the bar."  It was AWESOME - she basically said, "You hookers gotta bounce.  NOW."  But to show their disapproval at losing their space to Ang Mo's, they proceeded to whip out their i-Phones and begin texting THE ENTIRE POPULATION OF SINGAPORE.  So after 10 minutes and several arguments, the hostess said, "We have second floor available as well," and so we yielded.  Score one for the prostitutes. 
Note the Christmas decorations in the background -
the beer matches the color - I'm thiking it can
become the "official ale of Christmas."  And
YES - that is my in a tie...

Once up top, we discussed beer options.  David suggested the Tower of beer (equivalent of 7 pints), and I said better to try it first, as they may not like it.  After one, however, they all approved, and the tower was starting to gain momentum.  Add in the fact that David was watching two TINY Singapore ladies crush a tower on their own, and the gauntlet was thrown down.  I was THRILLED, as I'd never ordered one before and it was FRIDAY NIGHT!!!!  WOOT-WOOT!!!   THAT, however, proved to be a mistake.

Maybe it was the chicken wings as an app.  Maybe it was the massive burger, fries, and salad.  Maybe it was the fact that I hadn't eaten lunch (except a banana).  But however you cut it, that bloody tower BESTED US.  We cleared out 97% of the tower, but there was still beer sitting in the classes when we called off the fight and waved the white flag.  It was a bit traumatic, as I expected it to be a slam dunk.  However, I am happy to report that I'm now the proud owner of 2 glasses as a consolation prize!!!!!!!!  Muffin - get excited - the collection is complete!!!!!  WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!!!


This is a shout out to J-Wade and all my Long
Beach posse - all you skirts know what's up
with 2-1-3!!!!!
Today was the morning workout, hitting Boomerang, and then walking down to the Sands before leaving them to their devices (which worked!).  On the way down we saw something very unique and special to Singapore - the annual Singapore International Dragon Boat Festival!  However, I am going to park this one until tomorrow, as I'm spending the day (camera in hand) there tomorrow and want to give it a proper write-up.

Okay, that's all the news that's fit to print.  Chat tomorrow!

Love,






Sam and (wandering through Paddington Markets and hopefully staying dry before her big ocean swim and Coogee hike tomorrow - BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN MUFFIN!!!!!!  I LOVE YOU!!!!!) Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment