Thursday 23 September 2010

All the World's a Stage...

Family,

And a good evening to you from across the Pond after another GREAT DAY in the Mother Country. Can you believe that the week is almost over? It has absolutely FLOWN by, and I can't believe that it's already Thursday evening as I type this. That being said, another EXTRA AWESOME day is in the books.

On day 4 of the Land's End Challenge, Taylor went conservative. Knowing that, realistically, there is NO WAY I can cover that kind of ground over the next 4 weeks, I decided to do a time trial 5K. I wanted to run outside, but given that it was raining (yep, it's official - fall's here) steadily, I opted for the comfort of the treadmill as well. Luckily I still had enough juice in my i-Pod to carry me along, and I turned in a 24:10 for the 5K. All in all, I was pleased! That gives me 73KM's for the week (only 897 to go...AWESOME).

Lunch was a treat, as I followed the esteemed wisdom of the Hitman and made my way to Tortilla for a large burrito. Look ou Moe's and Qdoba (sorry T-Rowe) - this place is SO GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUD (peppy cheekies). Let me just tell you - that burrito never stood a chance. Poor guy didn't even see what hit him...
The featured event of the night was another London to-do for Team Taylor, and something that we've been talking about since we arrived in the Smoke - A SHOW AT THE GLOBE THEATER!!! I gotta tell ya - I was just going to check it off the list, but it was WAY more than just another tick in the box.
The funniest moment of the evening was actually on the walk to the theater. I was sitting outside the Anchor Pub (don't worry, mum - I wasn't drinking - it was an AFD today) waiting for Muffin Puffin when a couple walked past (she was in heels on COBBLESTONES and he was clearly trying to impress). So they stop right in front of me as though they've just remembered something and the guy says, "Where's Scooby?" He lets out a WEAK whistle and then says begins calling for Scooby. I mean seriously, how could you NOT be thinking "Scooby Scooby Doo - where are you?" at this point...

Well, they turn around and walk back a bit, and then suddenly Scooby rounds the corner. At this point I am invested, and I simply have to see Scooby. As it turns out, Scooby is SPUDS McKENZIE with a full on camoflauge jacket - we are talking HARD CORE. I mean, the jacket has to wait more than the dog!
Anyhoo, Scooby is clearly very friendly, and he's walking up to everyone for some love. He approaches me as well, and as I reach down to pet him, he stops SIX INCHES from my shoe, hikes up his leg, and PROCEEDS TO PISS A RIVER (I didn't know so much fluid could actually be in a dog that size!). Needless to say - I did NOT bet Scooby. I just hope he keeps solving mysteries...

As for the Globe - WOW - talk about spectacular. We saw "The Merry Wives of Windsor," and it was HILARIOUS. The show was a BRILLIANT mixture of fabulous activing, terrific staging, music, and a lot of the elements traditionally used in Elizabethan theater. Additionally, we saw it the way I had ALWAYS wanted to - standing open air in "the yard." Hey man - when you can get the tix for 5 quid, you CANNOT argue.

The show had us in stitches the entire time (even when it started to rain during the first act - let's hope I don't get sick again), and one of the neatest moments was when, near the end, you could actually hear the bells from St. Paul's Cathedral across the river chiming 10 PM.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that, before you go in, there are TONS of food stalls available only to patrons. We got this REDONKULOUS chili - it too was guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud. And speaking of, it's about time to get into the Doritos, as I didn't really have din din (there's a new flavor over here called "Chili Heatwave," and it ROCKS THE PARTY).

On the walk home, we had a GREAT view of St. Paul's lit up across the water, thereby serving as a PERFECT end to a PERFECT London evening.

Okay, that's all the news that's fit to print. Chat tomorrow!

Love,

Sam and Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment