Tuesday 30 August 2011

And so begins the voyage of discovery...

Family,
And a good evening to you from across the globe after another GREAT DAY in the Lion City. The Bull logged 5 miles outside today, turning in an 8:28 pace for 5 miles. That's 2 runs this week that have been less impressive than last week, but given that a) I'd just returned from Bangkok for the 5K and b) it was like breathing MUD outside today for the 5 miler (and the previous 5 miler was indoors), I am still okay with performance and training to date. I've only got 6 runs left before the Sydney 21 K, and I do feel that I'm ready. However, talk to me after Thursday's 20 KM, and you might get a different story. Either way, I'm still four times the man Matt Miller is, which definitely helps me to sleep at night.
So tomorrow is the last day of August, after which point Team Taylor will have only a scant 4 months left in Asia. And whilst I must confess that I am EXHAUSTED due to the speed at which we've tried to conquer the continent, now is no time to let up, and so it's time to kick it up a notch (Emeril style) in the realm of Singapore experiences. Consequently, I started that journey tonight on Bali Lane in a place called "Blue Jazz."
Here's the deal - there is SO MUCH MORE to Singapore than people realize. Everywhere you look, there are really neat pockets, very cool bars, and AMAZING food. However, because so much good food is EVERYWHERE, odds are good you'll live in a corner where you've got 10-20 great restaurants within a 5 minute walk from your place. Consequently, you tend to get "stuck in your ways" when it comes to food, and Team Taylor is no exception (I mean, dare I utter the word "Boomerang" again? Exactly...). True, we've stuck to the same restaurants in an effort to find some semblance of normalcy and routine during our time here, but regardless, the theory holds true - people tend to stick to their normal routine. That must end, however, as I truly want the Bull and Striker to say "we DID Singapore" when we leave. I began that crusade tonight with Money and Dan, and I gotta say - we're off to a blistering start.
Blue Jazz is this GREAT little place near Arab Street with EXCELLENT Middle Eastern cuisine, and the three of us GORGED ourselves on hummous, tabouleh, falafel, and (wait for it, Yazz, wait for it...) Shawarma! The price was right (~$32 USD a person-I know, I know - SHOCKING when that's a deal, right?), and it was sooooooooooo guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud (peppy cheekies). Muffin - I can't WAIT to take you here - good stuff!
In truth, I should hire Money and Dan as my tour guides, as they have covered practically every inch of this island that doesn't require a car. And when you combine all the spots they've recommended with all the bars and restaurants I discovered in Boat Quay last night on the walk home from working out (with the one hiccup being the TEN BASQUILLION HOOKERS IN FRONT OF EVERY BAR), I think it's fair to say that the Bull and Striker have got some SERIOUS ground to cover in the next 4 months if we want to cross off a good chunk of the unique spots on the island. Hey - we're up for that challenge!
Okay, that's all the news that's fit to print. Chat tomorrow!
Love,
Sam and (most likely sitting with a Chang in hand beside a sunburned Yazz) Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment