Sunday 17 January 2010

A Saturday night slumber party...

Family,

And a good evening to you from across the Pond on a blisteringly sunny Sunday morning. Yesterday was NOTHING but rain, but today looks to be simply GLORIOUS, meaning I'm gonna be rocking the sexy boot as I walk around Oxford Street.

So yesterday was GREAT. For starters, JT and I did something that we haven't done properly in over a month: SLEEP. We managed a solid 12 hours of sack time, which was FABULOUS. After that, it was coffee and cereal while we knocked out some to-dos (read paying bills, Facebook,etc. - NOTHING earth-shattering) and read a bit. I will say that, whilst I'm really, really enjoying "A People's History of the United States" (and in fact believe that at least sections should ABSOLUTELY be required reading in high school and college history classes - they certainly will be when I'm teaching), it is definitely a textbook and must be broken up with other, lighter reading material. Given that, I've now started "The Children of Men" and am about 20% through it (and enjoying it quite a bit as well). I will say, however, that this is my last PD James novel. Lucky for her I'm a fan of apocalyptic literature - otherwise I don't think I could overcome her overly-methodical writing style. Stay tuned for the final review.

The evening was great. We rolled over to Waitrose to pick up some snacks and "adult beverages" (check the photo of the UK's GREATEST adult beverage - who doesn't love a little Timmy T?), and then YAZZ came over! We had a BLAST catching up about her trip to...wait for it...wait for it...VEGAS, BABY, as well as catching up on everything else, all the while going through a block of parmesan cheese (KJ - you have made me a fan for LIFE - that stuff is AMAZING), a block of Wensleydale cheese (with cranberries), two bags of chips, 2 bottles of wine, some brew, some pasta, hummous, and even a shot of Moonshine (imported by the Taylor Brewing Company, Whitesburg, TN). Talk about a good (and late) night in.

We passed out around 2, and it's 10:30 as I'm typing this now (and I think I hear the girls stirring). I'm thinking today could be a good day for an English breakfast. I mean hey, the weekends are for indulgence, right? The gym will always be there on Monday...


Lastly - in foot news. Both Taylors are reporting less foot pain. I actually walked to the store and back (call it half a mile each way) without the boot yesterday (mom - I rocked the Baffin's - I LOVE those things) and felt no pain. It feels slightly tender today, but pressing on it no longer causes pain, so I think I might finally be on the mend. For my beer gut's sake - I certainly hope so.

Okay, that's all the news that's fit to print. Chat later today!

Love,

Sam and Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment