Friday 20 May 2011

Crossing off another Sing Sing to-do...consumption of...chicken feet...

Family,
And a good Saturday morning to you from across the globe after another GREAT DAY in the Mother Country. It's the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!! So this one will be quick, as it's already 2 in the afternoon and Team Taylor is fresh off a 12+ hour snooze. However, I simply had to let the world know that Team Taylor had a foray into the brave new world of Chinese cuisine yesterday. You see, I rocked up with the team to Bosses (the Chinese Mafia place), which was AWESOME as usual because a) the food is wicked awesome and b) everyone except me at the table spoke Chinese, and so it was pretty much like I was in a fancy 18th century opium den for about 90 minutes.
When we sat down, Nancy and Adeline looked at me and said, "Sam, chicken feet is on the menu...and we've already ordered it for you." Now a little back story here - I have never really planned to eat chicken feet. I gotta be honest, every time I see JUST THE FEET OF A CHICKEN and think about how much SHIT those feet have walked through (literally), I tend to lose my appetite. And then, when you factor in a) the fact that it's all cartilage, b) there are TONS of bones inside, and c) THERE IS A BLOODY TALON ON THE END OF THE FOOT, it just really loses all appeal. However, as I was amidst a group of 8 people who LOVE them and felt I must try it, I buckled down for the adventure.
The feet came out first, and so of course I was the one to dance with them. The picture really doesn't do it justice, as I agonized over this for about 5 minutes. You are seeing me 2 seconds before impact. The other photo, however, captures me 2 seconds AFTER impact. Let me give you a brief description:
1. It was declawed - that might be the only reason I'm still alive.
2. Chewy. Fatty. Crunchy. Soggy. Yep, that pretty much covers it.
3. FILLED WITH BONES THAT NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT. I'm lucky I still have my teeth.
4. Did I mention soggy?
I will say that I am SO GLAD I've tried it, but I don't see me trying it again. It was kind of like chewing on teryaki covered pig fat wrapped in a stick that you have to spit out - that's honestly all I can equate it to. Evelyn - I hope I am not a disappointment in your eyes now. :-) Bring on the Durian! Which reminds me - one of the gals at dinner is hosting a DURIAN PARTY tonight! Oh, and we also talked about how, in Korea, you eat live octopus at dinner, and you have to catch it as it runs off your plate. Once you catch it and eat it, it a) panics because it's in your mouth (understandably) and squirts ink ALL OVER YOUR TEETH, and b) it attaches it's tentacles to your tongue in an effort to not fall down your esophagus. In a word - WOW.
Okay, I'll give you the rest of the evening and the weekend later (as well as Manila, of course). However, it's time for some 3 PM brekkie!
Okay, that's all the news that's fit to print. Chat tomorrow!
Love,
Sam and Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment