Thursday 12 May 2011

He's going the dis-tance....but NOT for SPEEEEEEED...

Family
And a good evening to you from across the globe after another GREAT DAY in the Lion City. I come to you tonight, EXHAUSTED but happy. Why, you ask? Well, I'm glad you did - I'll tell you... :-)
2 hours, 8 minutes, and 1 second. That's about the time it takes to drive to Chapel Hill from the Queen City (it's only 45 minutes if you're Nik Patel or GC Robinson, but for the rest of us...). That's more or less the time it takes to fly from CLT to the Big Apple. It's also the time it took Sammy the Bull to run 13.1 miles tonight. That's right, sports fans - tonight I completed my LAST long training run and FINALLY hit the milestone.
That's my longest run since March of 2009 and the longest time running consecutively since 2006. Now don't get my wrong - it's by NO MEANS my best time. In fact, if that had been the actual race, that would have been the worst time I've ever turned in for a half. But honestly, it's not about the time on this one (as much as I would like it to be). This time, it's just about being able to say that I've managed to get back on the horse. This time it's about knowing that I'll be able to walk to that starting line, confident that I can finish the race.
I ended up walking 6 times for a total of 18 minutes. I went through 3 salt tablets, a pack of "Carb BOOM" (gotta love that name), 4 eight ounce bottles of water/Gatorade, and sucked down well over 1 liter of water from the backpack. After the 15 minute mark, every step of the run was effort, and the only time I felt "comfortable" running was a six minute stretch between 1:37:40 and 1:43:43 (after which it hit me like a brick and I had to walk for 2 minutes). When it was over I looked as though I'd just been swimming during a Hurricane. But after it's all said and done, I'm really pleased, because now I know I can do it in the heat (that's what she said).
And in case anyone's curious about the heat, remember those pictures from the Skypark and the part in the blog where I talked about Jenny swimming OUTSIDE on Sunday? Yeah, well here's an interesting tidbit: this weekend, Saturday and Sunday posted THE TWO HOTTEST DAYS IN THE PREVIOUS SIX YEARS IN SINGAPORE! Now granted, they only hit 93 degrees, but when you consider it was about 160% humidity and that the sun's rays are MERCILESS down here, you can see why we looked COOKED in those photos.
It should be noted that Muffin Puffin logged 5 miles outside as well and rocked it. That's her last long run as well, as we're in the taper down mode at this point!
Okay, that's all the news that's fit to print. Chat tomorrow!
Love,
Sam and Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment