Tuesday 27 July 2010

Two days in the Smoke - and two VERY different experiences...

Family,

And a good evening to you from across the Pond after another GREAT DAY in the Mother Country. Okay, so first off - apologies for no blog last night. However, as will soon become apparent, we spent more than our fair share of time on the PC last night, and I just couldn't bear the thought of another 20 minutes.


So yesterday was, well, TOUGH for Muffin Puffin. Whilst I got into work fine, I noticed that JT wasn't online by her normal time. I waited and waited, and then a part of me started to grow a bit concerned. That was until the moment when she unexpectedly arrived in Canary Wharf. As it turns out, Jenny had the fortune of catching the ONE TRAIN IN ALL OF LONDON that was behind a defective train, meaning that she WAS STUCK ON THE TUBE FOR 45 MINUTES GOING NOWHERE. That's right - from 8:10 until 8:55, JT was just chillin' with 200 of her closest, smelliest friends. Hitman - this pretty much sounds like your worst nightmare...


In and of itself, this wouldn't have been the end of the world, as JT had two big files to complete but still had all day to complete them. And THAT is when the following announcement came over the PA:


"May I have your attention. Due to a security incident (I mean - "security incident" What the hell does that mean?), everyone must evacuate the building immediately."


Now granted, I knew that this a) wasn't a drill and b) wasn't a fire alarm, because the PA was giving different instructions. Only later did we learn that there had been a series of bomb threats on the building, and apparently someone had briefly parked a van out front (I never saw the van and that was never confirmed). Either way, 10 minutes later we were standing outside under threatening skies.


After 20 minutes, we wandered down to Carluccio's, where we got some coffee. The girls got hot chocolate - check us out: Just another workday in London! However, the delay grew and grew, and eventually we waited TWO AND A HALF HOURS before we were able to get back in.


Knowing that JT would be uber-stressed, I sent her home to go for a jog. Once we were able to get back into the building, I packed up both of our stuff and carded it home, at which point I did the unthinkable. I LOGGED IN FROM HOME AND HELPED JENNY WORK ON FINANCE FILES. Old School, Hitman, Shogun - don't worry - I was NOT allowed to touch formulas. JT did the Vlookup. JT did the pivot table. My ass was relegated to donkey work (read: "copy/paste"), but I tackled it with the vigor of a donkey parasailing in Southern Russia (sorry that was bad - those jokers should be buried UNDER the jail). Throw in some wine and the movie "Ronin," and it actually turned out to be a good night.


Today went MUCH better. After work, Perfect Pumpkin and I rolled over to Leadenhall Market, where we met up with some new expats in town and friends of Mel Mel. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: Ric (that's right - no "k" for that guy) and Alison Gallagher! It should be noted that I made the initial meeting a bit tougher than necessary, as my BlackBerry (yes, the Boat Anchor) was dead and I had forgotten to tell them "Look for the guy in the wrinkled shirt and 14 year old khakis standing beside the hot red head." Luckily, they are very observant folks and noticed that I didn't quite look like EVERYONE ELSE in the bar, all bankers from "the City" wearing their pin stripe suits.

We had a GREAT night, complete with multiple pints (Hitman - in this heat, I am officially trading cask ales for beers run through chillers. Heine KILLED Royal London tonight). And then, knowing that we were rapidly tipping, we decided on the staple of British cuisine for dinner - CURRY, BABY! However, since we were nowhere near the Doot, we took the typical "Team Taylor - it's only ten minutes" walk over to Brick Lane!

We tore up some grub at Bengal Village, where I had a STEAMING dish that was UBER flavorful. I know that the Curry Mile gets a bad wrap, but that food was guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud (peppy cheekies). And best of all - it was BYO!!!

Okay, that's all the news that's fit to print (and oh, yeah - I'm HAMMERED). Chat tomorrow!

Love,

Sam and Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment