Sunday 16 January 2011

All kinds of news - bad, decent, good, and great...

Family,

And a good evening to you from across the globe after another GREAT DAY in the Lion City. Tonight's blog is all about news - none of it terribly earth shattering, but all of it important to this farm boy. Let's start with the bad and work our way up...

Bad news: Today, in an effort to determine how well Sammy's fitness level would hold up under "worst case disaster scenario" conditions, I left the condo at 1:30 PM with no food and barely any water in me the day after an illness to see how I would fare in the heat. To make matters worse, I rolled in a jog to the top of Fort Canning Park to kick off the first 5 minutes. Both of these ideas were COLOSSAL mistakes, and I learned a very, VERY valuable lesson today.

For starters, within about 30 seconds of jogging, I was a ball of sweat. Seriously, there were beads of sweat on my forehead the size of volvos, and every ounce of fluid I had in me was seeping out INSTANTANEOUSLY. And when you add in the fact that I was running UPHILL IN THE RAINFOREST, well, let's just say that the $10 I carried in my shorts was a lifesaver when I bought some vitamin water.

The bad news was clear: while I still have 4+ months until the Marathon, I managed only 1.75 miles outside without stopping, and I was in trouble. I knew that I wasn't in the shape of my former self, but I didn't realize I was this far down the curve. But hey, nothing like a good ass kicking to movitate.

Decent news: My 1.75 mile jog landed me outside my gym, and so I was able to climb onto the treadmill and log 5 miles. In truth, I was slow but felt really good, and I still had gas left in the tank when I stopped. That put me at 7 miles and 800 calories burned for the day, so I can take solace in the fact that my fitness level is ahead of schedule (I hadn't planned for a 7 mile run before Feb). However, I am now learning that Singapore is a RUTHLESS place for outside jogging. And mum, don't worry - I was checking the pulse the whole time, and that was never an area of concern.

Good news: In a surprising - scratch that, SHOCKING - turn of events, Sammy washed a load of clothes this weekend (that's not the turn of events) to find that the dryer in the single washer/dryer until ACTUALLY WORKS!!!! Muffin, it's AMAZING! You tell it to dry, and it ACTUALLY DRIES!!!! In fact, it dries too well, as EVERYTHING came out crisp. Luckily nothing shrunk, but we will have to keep an eye on that. What a refreshing change! Of course, this doesn't tell the whole story of how I called the front desk when I couldn't get it to work, only to have the technician come up, point out the "TO TURN ON WASHER, PRESS HERE" switch DIRECTLY ABOVE the machine, but hey - details...

Great news: After 2 weeks of waiting, THE HOUR COUNTDOWN UNTIL MUFFIN ARRIVES IS ON!!!!! That's right, sports fans, in less than 7 days, my perfect pumpkin will be in the Lion City. YAAAAAAAAY!!!!!! Muffin, haffa hurry!

Not a whole lot else to report tonight. Dinner was with Jackie and Kristin at Brewerkz, and it was AWESOME. True, you get FLEECED on the prices, but the burgers were GREAT and the beer was SUPERB. They actually have 12 microbrews on tap, including a...wait for it...wait for it...GOLDEN ALE, BABY!!!!! KJ - it's not exactly Terrapin, but it's honestly the closest thing I've had to it in a LONG time. That makes Sammy a VERY happy camper.

Okay, that's all the news that's fit to print. Chat tomorrow!

Love,

Sam and (bright eyed and bushy tailed waking up a Cuz's place) Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment