Tuesday 25 January 2011

Chinese New Year - basically Hannukah in the Tropics...

Family,

And a good evening to you from across the globe after another GREAT DAY in the Lion City. Okay, so first off - apologies for no blog last night. And NO, it wasn't because I was hammered. Last night I actually sat down at 11 PM to provide you, my esteemed and faithful readership, with another tale of life in the Sing, only to find out that ALL INTERNET (both cable and wireless) were dead in the ENTIRE building. I called the front desk, only to have them tell me that they'd call me back in 5 minutes after looking into it. When they HADN'T CALLED at 11:30, I called them back to tell them I was going to bed and that they should just come up tomorrow, at which point they said, "Oh, it's been out for over an hour. Yeah - this won't be fixed tonight." Thank you for that UBER enlightening commentary, which I certainly could have used 30 minutes earlier.

So last night was a great evening, as I got a run in (4 miles on the treadmill in 34 flat - I'm pleased with that). I will say that it's a GREAT feeling to actually look forward to running again and to actually have the energy left to continue speeding up throughout the workout. I definitely still have a long way to go before I'm back up to snuff, but I'm feeling better about things.

Muffin Puffin, however, did NOT have a good first workout in the Sing. As many of you know, Jenny is a swimmer, and she's a veritable TORPEDO in the water. However, we found out that, unlike a torpedo, Jenny doesn't have countermeasures or homing devices, which makes it tough when you go to swim in AN UNLIT POOL OUTSIDE IN DARKNESS. Fret not, parents - she was never in danger. What she WAS in was a cement pond with no lights of any kind filled with renegade Asians who don't have lane lines to control them. Let's just say that muffin puffin looked none too pleased (but REALLY HOT) all the same when she popped out of the water. And what's the cure to alleviate frumpies? You guessed it - NOT having an AFD!

We rolled over to Fremantle, which is the seafood place that I'd been wanting to try. This joint has TONS of great options, but alas the fish we wanted (Barramundi) was gone. However, the silver lining was that we had Alphonsino, which was a GREAT white fish that we'd never heard of (SO GUUUUUUUUD - peppy cheekies). We also got Caesar salads that even Terri and Renee would have been proud of (Terri - the anchovy was mixed in with the dressing - at least that's how I THINK you said it should be.

We crashed about midnight, sleeping HARD until 7:30 this morning.

Today was another great one, even if quick. However, I simply MUST recout a conversation that I had with a fellow "Ang Mo" about Chinese New Year (henceforth known as CNY). Here's how it went:

Other Ang Mo in Office (OAMIO): "So you know about Chinese New Year, right? The envelopes?"

Cheap Bastard Sammy (CBS): "Yeah, luckily a teammate told me. Sounds like I need to put $10 in each one."

OAMIO: "No, no. Don't do that."

CBS: (smiling because he thinks that's too much) "Oh, okay. Good to know."

OAMIO: "1 and 0 are not lucky numbers. You need to put something that ends in 2 or 8. Those are lucky numbers."

CBS: "Wait. What?"

OAMIO: "Yeah, it needs to be the lucky numbers. Oh, and you need to make sure that it's equal. So if it's 28, then it's $14 and $14. It should be even."

CBS: "Hang on - I'm confused."

OAMIO: "Oh, and the bills need to be new. You have to get fresh money from the bank."

CBS: "Hang on - I don't even HAVE a bank. Can't I just use the plastic money? It's looks new."

OAMIO: "And remember - if you have teammates in other countries, you'll need to convert the currency. And make sure it's an even number again."

CBS: (in shock) "Anything else I should know?"

OAMIO: "Not yet. We'll talk about the food tossing on everyone's birthday later."

CBS: "Food tossing?"

OAMIO: (laughs, shakes head) "Yep. Just you wait."

Seriously - there are apparently 14 days of Chinese New Year. Where's the Asian Adam Sandler when you need him?

Tonight's workout was the treadmill for JT and the bike for Sam. It would have been a GREAT workout save for the fact that, after a scant 4 weeks in operation, my Kindle has DIED. Mum - don't panic yet - I'm going to call customer support tonight (or at least email them). However, right now half the screen is blank. Why can't it just be like an etch-o-sketch where you can shake it and start over? CP - this is NOT doing a lot for my debate about whether or not to buy Amazon...

Okay, Perfect Darling Bear is slaving away in the kitchen making dinner (at 10:40 - I can see the Tacy's shaking their heads now), so it's time for me to sign off.

That's all the news that's fit to print. Chat tomorrow!

Love,

Sam and Jenny





No comments:

Post a Comment