Sunday 21 February 2010

Year 4707 - Welcome to the year of the Tiger...

Family,

And a good evening to you from across the Pond after another GREAT DAY and FANTASTIC WEEKEND in the Mother Country. As I sit here taking down some sweet chili potato chips (mom - you are going to LOVE all the flavors of chips in this country), I can't believe how much fun this weekend has been.

It should be noted (and you might have seen in the photos) that I walked around ALL WEEKEND WITHOUT THE BOOT! And whilst my foot is still a bit tender, that is a GREAT sign. I'll be back in the gym on the bike tomorrow morning, so we'll see how it feels. I made it to the gym 6 times last week, so I'm hoping for a repeat performance (needed since I've got a trip planned this weekend and then 3 days in Mad City next week).

Also, I had a TERRIBLE night's sleep last night. I have no lie to tell - I have a mortal fear of zombies. Don't ask me to explain it, but suffice it to say that seeing movie posters for "The Crazies" all over the Tube is NOT helping my sleeping habits. Now I'm not sure if it was from being a) too tired or b) fearing that I was going to be stabbed repeatedly by a pitchfork in my sleep, but I could NOT get to sleep last night. In fact, I laid in bed FOUR HOURS until I finally passed out around 3 AM. We woke up around 10, and I was refreshed enough but DEFINITELY craving some more ZZZZZ's. That being said, I do expect to pass out tonight.

JT made us a great brekkie before we rolled down to Chinatown for the Chinese New Years celebrations. This is (apparently) the largest CNY festival outside of China, and it was a good day. There were tons of lanterns about, lots of musical performances, plenty of those damn popping fireworks (kids were throwing them at my feet ALL DAY - they are lucky I was TOTALLY out of kerosene and didn't have the energy to follow them home), and even some dancing dragons (IMPOSSIBLE to see, but the cymbol clanging - all by white guys - was impossible to miss).

We started in Chinatown before wandering down to Trafalgar Square, where the heart of the action was. I must say that it was a neat festival - there was tons of singing and dancing, and it was quite the crowd on hand. We spent about 45 minutes watching the performances before heading back to Piccadilly to meet Beth Silverstein, a new expat and friend of a friend on the project.

The craziest part? I knew Beth in college. True, I cannot remember what class we had together, but I KNOW that I knew her. It was a surreal moment - talk about a small world! We wandered through Shaftsbury and back into Chinatown before circling back down to Trafalgar Square to watch some of the performances.
However, instead of performances, we were treated to a pair of TERRIBLE mc's who just WOULD NOT stop talking. Instead, they insisted on us doing the "Mexican wave." What is the Mexican wave, you ask? Well, it's basically the same as the "United States wave," except that instead of forming a "wave" (you know, I like you would EXPECT TO DO), you simply wave at the stage when your section is pointed to. Seriously? SERIOUSLY? WHY IS THIS THE MEXICAN WAVE? IS THIS WHAT SANTA ANNA DID TO DAVY CROCKETT AT THE ALAMO? Utter donkeys...

So after 15 minutes of "Mexican waving," (which I'm pretty sure is NOT a past time of drug lords and the border patrol) we rolled over to Covent Garden for beer and a 4 PM lunch at the Porterhouse. There we introduced Beth to some delicious brewskis, had some Cambembert cheese as a starter, and then sucked down some tasty dishes (I went with a skillet of eggs, cheese, potatoes, hash browns, peppers, sausage, ham, and bacon - CHUUUUUUUUUUUUUBBBBBBBBYYYYYYYYYYYYY BUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! SO GUUUUUUUUD!

After that, we walked home, and we're now gearing up for 2 hours of Olympics coverage, including the men's downhill and the ski cross finals. All in all, it has been a GREAT weekend, and we now have another friend to add to the mix. Yazz - you missed a great day out!

Okay, that's all the news that's fit to print. North American crew - save travels across the Pond. Chat tomorrow!

Love,

Sam and Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment