Thursday, 11 March 2010

A heavy evening with the Carter clan and Turkish with the Afrikaans...


And a good evening to you after another GREAT DAY in the Mother Country. As I type this, I have a happy heart and a full belly, as Team Taylor has been on a 2 day binge of gluttony the likes of which I haven't seen since my marathon days. Let's start with last night...

So JT and I rolled up to King's Cross (that's right - the same place where Harry boards the Hogwarts Express) for an evening with the Prime Minister (that would be my old boss Andy Carter) and his family (that would be wife Jill, daughter Grace - already asleep when we arrived, dog Jackson, and cat Tangy). Back story on expectations: when you show up at Chez Carter, you are guaranteed 3 things: good music, GREAT food, and COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF ALCOHOL. Last night was a particularly big night "on the lash" for all three.

For starters, I am happy to report that Lady Gaga was played with immense pride. Fizzy - we rocked both sides of Fame Monster. Second, we ordered takeout from Spices, and DAMN was it good. Puma - guess who went back to the Naga, baby - THIS GUY. Lamb Naga Masala - it never stood a chance. Now if they'd only had Punjabi MC playing in the background...

The most dangerous part of the evening was the vino. Now normally I arrive at Carter's and have proper beer for the entire session. Last night, however, it was wine, and LOTS OF IT. We are talking four bottles (and a bit of the fifth) between three people. Yeah...when you are conscious of the fact that you are slurring your words, then you know it's probably time to go home.

Oh, and in case you're curious about that YouTube thing where people use their cell phones to pop popcorn, I can now confirm that it does NOT work. I mean, let's face it - if you can't generate enough heat with that gunboat of a BlackBerry I'm carrying around, then it's just not possible unless you're making phone calls from the Hadron Collider at CERN.

It was a GREAT night out, but we showed up at home HAMMERED. That meant further depletion of the Advil supply (AC - we might need to add some of that in as well...) and a NICE headache at 7 this morning. Livin' the dream, baby...

Tonight was a bit calmer but just as much fun. Grimshaw and I took the Jubes from Canary Wharf, getting off at Bond Street. There we had a drink at Pontefract Castle (they had Timmy!) before meeting Barry (her fella), Muffin, and another couple, Michelle and Rob (both South African as well).

We hit an AMAZING restaurant called Levant, specializing in Turkish cuisine. This place was SO COOL. We are talking GREAT decorations, tons of candles and lights, wicked music, REDONKULOUS food, and even...wait for it...wait for it...BELLY DANCING. Let's just say that it was QUALITY.

The meal was a 3+ hour soiree, but what else could you expect when you order a "meat feast" for 6 people. Seriously, I'm pretty sure entire farms in Yorkshire were put out of business to feed us tonight. Two hours later, my stomach is a heartbeat away from rupturing. that being said, I have NO regrets. Plus, I got some Turkish delight, halloumi cheese, and even mint tea, so I was very much a happy camper. And honestly, even without the food, catching Grimshaw dancing and showing off her moves was worth the trip.

I can't believe it's already the weekend - how is that possible? All the same - bring it on! Hitman - safe travels across the Pond. We'll see you on the other side.

Okay, that's all the news that's fit to print. Chat tomorrow!


Sam and Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment