Sunday 1 August 2010

August - and everything after...

Family,


And a good evening to you from across the Pond after another GREAT DAY in the Mother Country. Today's a big one for Team Taylor, as perfect pumpkin and I are celebrating 7 YEARS OF BEING TOGETHER. That's right - only 4 of it has been married, but seven years ago today, I took JT on our first day (a Charlotte Knights baseball game and then an Avalon concert). Can you believe that? MAN, where on EARTH has the time gone? They have, without a doubt, been the seven best years of my life - I LOVE YOU, PUFFIN!!!!!!
So, before I start with the recap of the day's festivities, I should mention the one detail I forgot from Saturday. For the first time EVER outside the country, and for the first time PERIOD since high school - I GOT STUNG BY A BEE. Seriously, I think a yellowjacket got me, but I'm not sure. Whatever it was (the little bastard was swatted but stayed on his feet and got away), he nailed me right in the neck whilst walking to the show. And while it wasn't fire in my blood like I remember from childhood, he did pack a punch that left quite a knot on my neck. Good times...Dad - fret not - I gut-divorced it.
So today was a BLAST. We left the flat about 2, stopping (FINALLY) at the Starbucks by our flat (it was featured in "Race to the Pole") for our first ever blended ice coffee drink. DUDE - those things are guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud. And I'm sure they've only got about, oh, I don't know - 57,000 calories. But hey, at this point - who am I kidding - it was WORTH EVERY FUTURE STEP on a treadmill.
We then walked down to the Thames, stopping in Embankment gardens for a little free concert in the park. These guys were great - we even got to hear the "Austin Powers" theme song! It was just classic. Also, JT and I got a glimpse of what we'll look like when we're 85 (knock on wood) - check out the old couple dancing to the music in the foreground.
After that we rocked up to the selected bar of the day - the T.S. Queen Mary (a river boat bar) - only to find that it was NO LONGER THERE. That ship had sailed - literally. Apparently the boat left in 2008, but the website is still up and running, and the dock is still there (but it looked like a scene from "Mad Max"). While waiting, a US military vet heard my accent and began chatting with me. He was a genuinely nice cat, but here are the key points I took from the conversation:
1. He doesn't fear China. NO ONE SHOULD.
2. He lives in Fiji. Well, he used to, because HE WAS JUST DEPORTED.
3. Never marry a Tahitian woman.
4. Fijian women are HOT.
As I was hearing this guy (and I firmly believe that every word he told me was true), I couldn't help but think - this guy has lived.
After that rendezvous, we went over to Tattersall Castle, another bar boat on the Thames, where we met up with Kat and her husband Rob. The next 3 hours were spent nibbling and drinking on a PERFECT day - talk about GORGOUS.
We then rolled over to the Porterhouse for one (it was THE BEST Porterhouse Red I've ever had there - I could have had 1600 of them) before having dinner at Fire and Stone, this AWESOME pizza joint on Maiden Lane. It was simply delish, and we had a blast chatting about anything and everything.
And now, back at the house, I am EXHAUSTED and ready to pass out. It has been SUCH A fun weekend hanging with friends - life is guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud.
Okay, that's all the news that's fit to print. Chat tomorrow!
Love,
Sam and Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment