Monday 18 October 2010

A little walk around the Wharf reveals a whole new world...

Family,

And a good evening to you from across the Pond after another GREAT DAY in the Mother Country. The Land's End Challenge got a big boost today, with Sammy the Bull logging 35.5 KM on the bike over the course of an hour. And whilst my workout was good, I'm still a little confused about the guy's technique on the bike beside me. Here's how he approached the workout:

1. Pedal as HARD AS YOU CAN for 10 seconds

2. Stop abruptly

3. Pedal EVEN HARDER for 5 seconds (all of this on the easiest gear) - I mean we're talking go at it until the machine is wobbling

4. Stop abrupty for about 20 seconds, adjust your book

5. Pedal as though you're running from the Vampires in "30 days of night" (breathing like you've been shot)

6. Stop abruptly for another 20 seconds, look round, relax, read a page in the book

7. Rinse-repeat FOR 45 MINUTES

Seriously - Hairless Wonder - educate me here - WHAT AM I MISSING? Is that how you train to win the brown mule or whatever that king of the hill jersey is?

Other than that, the day was good - steadily busy, and complete with time enough to walk around at lunch. I went down to Westferry Circus (start of my running route) before wandering around the island and the docks. It was a nice day, and I saw 3 GREAT looking new restaurants. Transition family - we missed the boat on some of these. Oh well, next time...riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

The craziest thing is that, rounding the corner by the post office, I found something that I didn't think existed - ANOTHER PUB!!!! And even more shocking - THEY HAVE TIMMY TAYLOR AND HOBGOBLIN ON DRAFT. Is this possible? 2.5 years of my life I've worked (on and off) in the Wharf, and with SEVEN WEEKS TO GO I'm just now discovering a place with Timmy T? OH THE HUMANITY!!!!! Granted, Old School Cool has been busy reading reviews and says it's a dump, but I maintain that, like Moses standing on Mt. Nebo, I have just glimpsed the Holy Land! I'm just hoping I don't follow in his footsteps and fail to make it there...

Other than that, not a lot to report. The commute home was a bear due to some signal failures and power outages, but I'm home now and muffin puffin is slaving away in the kitchen. I only got about 2 hours of sleep last night, and right now EVERY PART OF MY BODY HURTS. Between an arch pain, an ear pain, and tenderness in BOTH ARMPITS (seriously, who has pain in BOTH armpits? That's what I get for trying to sleep on my sides...), Sammy's feeling pretty rocky this evening. However, Jenny has just brought out the miracle cure (read: CHILI HEATWAVE DORITOS, BABY), and so I'm expecting to feel right as rain by this time tomorrow.

Okay, that's all the news that's fit to print. Chat tomorrow!

Love,

Sam and Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment