Friday, 18 March 2011

The acclimatization continues - 2 outdoor runs in 2 days...


And a good Saturday morning to you from across the globe after another GREAT DAY in the Lion City. IT'S THE WEEKEND!!!!! For my family and friends back in the states, PLEASE ENJOY SOME MARCH MADNESS FOR US. I saw that the Heels advanced, so that's a good thing. I had Vandy in my Final Four, however, and it seems as though they've already left for an early shower. Oh well, boys - stick to the MBA's - it will serve you better in the long run anyway.

So yesterday was great. For starters, the Bull actually got out of bed early, rising at 6:45 to log 3.5 miles before work. Normally we take Fridays off, but since we'd skipped on Thursday for St. Patty's Day, I needed to log some miles. It was HOT but felt good, and I was certainly glad I "got up and got after it" (you're welcome for that one, Dad - I can confirm the pavement was sufficiently pounded).

The work day was good, and I even got a chance to go over to visit a vendor site, which is always a good thing. I knocked off work about 6 PM, rolling back home to find Wife Muffin settling into her first Absolut Raspberri and Sprite. It took me all of 7 seconds to join her, and we took it easy for a bit before rolling down to dinner.

We hit a spot that we'd been wanting to try for awhile, especially given that it's RIGHT beside the condo and we've walked past it EVERY NIGHT for the last three months. It's called "The Sailor's," and it's an Italian Seafood restaurant which is so guuuuuuuuuuuuud (peppy cheekies). We absolutely TORE UP some black risotto (the sauce was SO THICK - my fingernails are STILL black from the festivities), followed by seafood linguine and...wait for it...wait for it...FOUR CHEESE GNOCCHI, BABY!!!!!! Who can eat 14,000 calories of Gorgonzola in a sitting? THIS GUY. Bring back the Dunlap, baby - Four Leaf's got some carbs to store.

After dinner we rolled home, where we did something we haven't done in a long time - sat on the couch and watched TV. CSI (VEGAS, BABY - the ONLY one that really counts) Season 11 was showing on AXN, and so we settled in for back-to-back episodes, which was really nice. Jenny said it well on St. Patty's Day - watching a movie and just relaxing last weekend was really nice and truly felt like a bit of home, which is something we haven't had a lot of lately. Singapore life is VERY easy, but if you don't make the effort, you can easily forget to include some of the things you've always enjoyed doing together as routines of the "new normal."

In true Taylor fashion, we sacked out around 11 PM, meaning that, once again, OUR EARLIEST NIGHT OF THE WEEK WAS FRIDAY. Face it - we are some WILD and crazy people.

The Bull actually got up early again this morning, rising at 6 and leaving the house (hydration belt in tow) about 6:30 to head for McRitchie park. The Singapore Shufflers do a 7 mile "Rainforest Romp" every Saturday at 7:15 AM, and I was flat DETERMINED not to be the gimp for the third straight workout.

I figured I'd be able to flag down a cab (we literally live RIGHT IN FRONT of a taxi stand), but no joy. I did manage to call and book one, but when I got in and said, "Hi, headin' to McRitchie Park," home boy was CLUELESS as to what I was talking about. Finally I said "McRitchie Reservoir Park," at which point he repeated, "Ah, Magriiiiikee Reservar Pok" and took off like a bat out of hell. Now come on, people, I simply HAVE to ask this question - why did "Reservoir" trigger something that "McRitchie Park" did not? There are only TWO PARKS IN THE WHOLE COUNTRY, and the other one is "Jurong Bird Park." Seriously? Seriously? Anyhoo...

The run was great, but DAMN was it tough. Honestly, I simply must tip my cap to Matt Miller (and YES - this is killin' me). MattPa - how you managed to run another NINE MILES in the heat of the day after that loop is simply beyond me. I was DEAD. Between your endurance and the fact that your boys lost to Bill Cosby and the wicked stepchildren yesterday, I hate you now more than ever. Seriously - I had your boys in the Sweet 16 - NTAC...

I logged the 6.8 miles in 1:01:46, which I was pleased with considering that it was a) truly a trail run with a LOT of rocks and branches, b) HOTTER THAN 40 HELLS, and c) my second straight day running. It was good practice for Sundown, which is still more than 2 months away. The next big outdoor run will be this week (prob Thurs), where I'm gonna shoot for 8-10 again.

My cab ride home was another classic, as my driver SANG the entire ride. And LBRC - he was NOT Sinatra. I thought for a bit I had to be on a gag show, as the dude was either humming in about 97 different keys or breathing into his armpit (LOUDLY, I might add) the entire ride. Good times at the goat rodeo.

Okay, it's 11 AM, and it's time to start the day. Chat tomorrow!


Sam amd Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment