Tuesday 1 March 2011

Fizzy, O-vino - who wants....PERI PERI CHICKEN, BABY!!!!!

Family,

And a good evening to you from across the globe after another GREAT DAY in the Lion City. So what, dare you ask, was the big event of the day? It occurred around 12:25 PM - a date which will live in infamy (not really - I just wanted to type that).

So for any of you who've worked in Asia, you know that lunch is a big thing. In fact, it's more than a big thing. It's a sacred hour of the day during which no meetings will be scheduled and NO work will get done. Seriously - check anyone's calendar based in Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc. - they will be booked up all day and all night EXCEPT for 12-1 PM. Personally, I've loved it, especially with the schedule I've been keeping. First off, it gives me a break and actually lets my brain rest. More importantly, however, it's a solid hour during the day that I get with Muffin!!!! This is SO much better than working on opposite sides of the city like London. But anyway, I digress - back to the lunch rush.

So Jenny and I weren't really in the mood for anything today, so we settled on T-Rowe's favorite - EXTREMEL SPICY THAI. We're on our way there when suddenly, out of the darkness of space and time, like a beacon of hope and freedom for all humanity, I notice the unmistakeable, the undeniable, the indescribeable - ROOSTER LOGO OF NANDO'S!!!!! Curiously enough, it's right beside a Long John Silver's, but that's another story for another time.

Weeping salty tears of joy, I break my hold of Jenny's hand and sprint toward the Rooster, determined to hug it and tell it just how much it's been missed on this side of the globe. Only then, however, do I realize that, whilst EVERYTHING is identical (the menu, the spices, the dishes, and even the prices when converted back to pounds), there is one noticeable difference - THE PLACE IS CALLED BARCELO'S. I mean really? REALLY? COULD THIS BE ANY MORE BRAND THIEVERY!!! SOMEONE CALL THE EMBASSY! However, I just assumed that it was a marketing ploy to hook Singaporeans (maybe the dude on the money's last name was Barcelo or something) and walked right in. And let me tell you, it did NOT disappoint.

Who ordered a 1/2 chicken HOT (VERY PERI as they called it here)? THIS GUY. Who got some spicy rice to go with it? THIS GUY. Who needed a photo to capture this religious experience? THIS GUY. In fact, the blinding white light behind me shows that this food magically transported us to Heaven - it was THAT good. Oh, and YES - real men DO wear their security badges at ALL times - even during meals. Although it does get in the way sometimes when I shower...


Muffin Puffin went with the Peri Peri Chicken Burger - also SO GUUUUUUUUUUUUD (peppy cheekies). And in a twist to snub the Brits and please the Aussies, the "creamy mash" and "mushy peas" has been replaced by "spicy wedges." Fizzy - why do I have a feeling this is bothering you more than Owain?

The one part that still baffles me is that, despite this place being a SHAMELESS rip-off, there actually IS a Nando's in the Sing. I'm not sure where, but rest assured I WILL find it. After all, someone has to defend the honor of Portugal. OSC - I got your back.

The evening was good, as Team Taylor rolled out of the office around 8 and hit the pool at home! We had it all to ourselves, so we did a 30 minute workout (during which time Muffin DOUBLED my distance - good times) before I capped it off with 10 minutes in the steam room - good times.

We just finished the rest of the pineapple that was cut last night, much to the traumatization of Hairless and Hitman. Fellas - would telling you I'm commando as I type this be any better? Just curious...

Okay, that's all the news that's fit to print. Chat tomorrow!

Love,

Sam and Jenny

2 comments:

  1. It took you 2 months to find Barcelos? Maybe we should make you a list of good lunch places!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And seriously.. Not being able to find Nando's in the singapore? I've heard there is this amazing new tool called Google.. Yet to check it out myself but will let you know how it goes!! :)

    ReplyDelete