Wednesday, 30 March 2011

HR Townhalls get my blood pumping...literally...


And a good evening to you from across the globe after another GREAT DAY in the Lion City. So the Bull and the Striker both popped up out of bed at 6:15 this morning to run, and I'm happy to report that we were successful on both counts. Muffin Puffin logged 4.5, and the Bull got about 6.5 logged in just over 56 minutes. I will say that it was HOTTER THAN 40 HELLS about halfway through, and this time I didn't take a salt tablet. That was a mistake, as the headache definitely started building about 40 minutes into the run. I'm starting to believe all the cats that say Singapore really DOES have a summer - and that is NOT exactly what you want to hear when planning for a marathon.

Lunch was good today, as Pumpkin and I discovered a new spot in Vivo City - some unpronouncable (but tasty!) Taiwanese joint at the tail end of the mall. I can HIGHLY recommend the Rock Salt Chicken - it was FAAAAANTASTIC (if not necessarily good for BP).

So all good things are at work until I get to today's featured work event - the HR Townhall. This is a monthly shindig where some very important people lay out strategy across the region and the enterprise, and today's speaker was the Big Dog - the head of HR. She was a great speaker, and after she'd delivered the formal piece, she opened it up for questions. Never being a shy one, I threw up my and for the mike to ask my question. That was...well, where the wheels started to come off.

So I start talking, and suddenly my heart starts thundering like speakers at a KISS concert. 2 seconds later, I've got blood flowing through my ears like the Colorado blasting through the Hoover Dam, more head is coming out of my head than a solar panel in the Mojave, and I'm actually tearing up. It got so bad that I actually had to STOP mid-question (which looked REALLY AWESOME, for the record - I'm pretty sure I'm in line for an immediate promotion), but I did "cowboy up" and finish (and got a very good answer, for the record). All the same, since I'd grabbed my chest halfway through, I'm pretty sure about 100 folks thought I was about to keel over. Don't worry Mum and Dad - I'm totally fine and feeling better. I have NO IDEA what happened, but I honestly think that, perhaps for the first time in my life, I was genuinely nervous. My body's never been nervous before, so I think it just started going into shutdown. Oh well, more lisinopril for me!

I took a few calls from home in the evening before heading out for din-din with Muffin, Money, and Dan. Where did we hit, you ask? For the 3rd time in a week - WINE CONNECTION, BABY!!! I took it easy - just a glass of red to help this old guy relax. :-)

Okay, that's all the news that's fit to print. Chat tomorrow!


Sam and Jenny


  1. Way to represent Sammy...the cardiac shared services kid.

  2. I was there Sam. You sounded fine! I know that feeling too - pops up at the oddest of times when you had no idea it would. Then there are those times where it should pop up, and it doesn't!
    I sent you the transcript i captured...loved your question... and the answer.

  3. LOL - thanks for the note. I had one of the guys come by today and ask, "Hey man - how's your heart?" I feel I should write AS and say, "You set my heart seriously - you do. I'm sending you my next doctor bill."