Monday 10 August 2009

I guess I just needed a good cry…

Family,

And a good evening to you from across the Pond. Okay, so last night, after the blog, I started “For One More Day,” by Mitch Albom. It’s a small book, around 190 pages, and I read it in a sitting. It’s about a guy who’s basically made a mess of his life and really wants one more day with his mom, as he knows she can help fix everything. Halfway through, I was not terribly impressed. In fact, compared to “Tuesdays with Morrie” and “The Five People You Meet In Heaven,” I felt like Brother Mitch was really off his game.

One hour later, Jenny looks up as I finish, and I am SOBBING. I mean, someone call this guy a prescription of valium…the last 5 pages more than totally made up for the rest of it. I’m not saying it’s his best story, but the ending was right in line with his other works. As for me, all I could think of was: “Sometimes you just need a good cry.” So for all my dude friends out there reading this, I still love basketball and think Kate Beckinsale is hot; For my dad – I am still tough and can “gut-divorce it;” and for my work peeps, don’t worry – tomorrow I’ll be the tyrannical ogre I always am. For mom, however – I love you.

So today was another great day – nothing exciting happened, but I realized today that some days you don’t WANT things to happen. Today was just a normal, average day…and it was absolutely perfect.

JT and I ate a veritable smorgasboard (Is that really how you spell it? Is that some form of Medieval Teutonic German?) of food tonight, ranging from a quiche to a microwave pasta dish to carrots to Red Leicester Cheese to a bottle of 3 pound wine (half of which we enjoyed on our balcony), all of it tasty. And now, as I sit here blogging and preparing to read some of the new book I’ve taken off the shelf (“Freakonomics”), I can’t help but think about how I love the new normal.

Okay, that’s all the news that’s fit to print. Chat tomorrow!

Love,

Sam and Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment