Sunday 23 August 2009

A solid rest period, a chapter of a friend's life closes, and another incredible carb fest at Limehouse...

Family,

And a good evening to you from across the Pond. Today’s weather was absolutely AMAZING – I hope we get another month or so of this! It was absolutely perfect – no humidity, sunny skies, that “just right” temp, a light breeze – Jenny was right when she compared it to Florida in October. All I could think was "IT'S FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!!!!"

First off, we slept in today, and I mean SLEPT. 13 hours of sleep later, however, we were fit as fiddles and rarin’ to go. Actually, that’s a lie, because Saturday had absolutely wrecked us and we were in no mode to seize the day too quickly. So my cute little muffin puffin whipped up a great little lunch (which was perfect since I was craving the Fromagerie down the street) of cheese, crackers, apples, and coffee.

In addition, I tried a new food called Bovril, courtesy of the lovely Lynda Grimshaw. All I really have to say is “GRIMSHAW – ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL US?” A few points on Bovril:

1. It’s a beef extract (that’s right – BEEF EXTRACT). Picture melting Slim Jim beef jerkey into something you could drink.

2. It’s 42% beef extract, 24% yeast extract, 6% salt, and 100% DONKEY TRASH. WOW…

3. A lot of people mix it with milk and drink it as a beef broth. If you are one of the people who do this, I bet you also swallow nails for breakfast to clean your teeth.

4. I’ll be trying it again in 2 weeks time to see if, like Marmite, it just takes time. That’s assuming the amount I’ve ingested to date hasn’t burned a hole through my esophagus.

After brekkie, we headed out to Hammersmith (West London), where we attended Lisa’s going away party. Yep, it’s real this time – she leaves on Thursday at 10 AM. Money – best of luck out there. Dan – you take care of that girl now, you hear? :-)

The place was called the Ruby Grand, and it was a great little spot with outdoor seating. It should be noted that Jenny and I resisted the temptation and managed an AFD!!! Yep, I’ve never been happier to order “two orange juices and a water” from the bar – LIFE CHANGING.

We left there around six and traveled 18 stops across 3 tube lines to meet Johnson, Mirza, and Goodyer at…wait for it…wait for it…La Figa. Does anyone want to guess what I ordered? And does anyone want to guess how GOOD it was again (as always)?

Now we’re back at the flat after a very short day. The only drama left is figuring out which book in the arsenal I am going to start on tonight. The 3 finalists are "Hannibal", "Red Dragon", and "The Hab Theory." I’ll let you know tomorrow how it all turned out.

Okay, that’s all the news that’s fit to print. Chat tomorrow! Have a productive week!

Love,

Sam and Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment