Saturday 31 October 2009

A GREAT start to the birthday weekend...

Family,

And a good evening to you from across the Pond - apologies for no blog last night, but for reasons you'll soon read, I was in NO SHAPE to blog last night (you can probably already guess the culprit).

So the festivities truly kicked off at lunch, when Liz, Mark, JT, and I all rolled to my favorite lunch destination in the whole of Canary Wharf - Nando's! Gang - this place is GREAT, and it's the closest you'll get to American "hot wings" in the UK. As per usual,I went with the Peri-Peri Chicken wings, rice, creamy mash...and did I mention I threw in another order of chicken wings. Hey, you don't keep my peak physical fitness by just getting a single portion...It was JT's first trip and Mark's as well, and they both loved it (although Mark was probably a bit more on the fence, especially since we requested they cover his steak sandwich with pineapple....mmmmmm....guuuuuuuuuuuuuuud). Liz bought me my birthday lunch - thanks, Fizzy!

After work, we rolled to Wharf local, the Cat & Canary, where we met Liz's dad (Rev. Ken) and their friends, Steve and Beth Womble. Yazz joined us, as well as Katrina and Carolina (two work peeps), and K-Wall, a buddy from the states that just moved to London on a year+ assignment. Our buddy Mike (the one with the SWEET house at the horse race track) came as well, and he and I too care of some Wychwood Brewing. That's right - they were serving Hobgoblin to mark the Halloween Festivities! It was a blast.

After that, we caught the DLR (that would be Docklands - or Donkey - Light Rail) to Limehouse, where we feasted once again at THE BEST Italian joint outside of the homeland - La Figa. I'll save you the suspence - I went with the Mushroom Ravioli yet again. Add in 4 bottles of wine, and we felt good when we left. Oh, but wait...cause we didn't go home...

Nope, instead we made our way to the Narrow, Gordon Ramsey's "Gastropub for British cuisine." While I've heard the food is overpriced, the bar (and it's riverfront terrace) is VERY cool, and we had a pint or two here before walking back (just Yazz, JT, Lord, and me). As you can tell from the picture, my muffin puffin was all smiles...AND, for the record - she is wearing her poppy.

After that, my wife was staggering a bit (too cute), so I steered her home by way of holding her backpack to keep her steady, and 40 minutes later we were at home. Given that it was almost 1 in the morning, I thought it prudent to SACK OUT and write this puppy in the AM.

Okay, you'll get another one tonight after another GREAT DAY in the Smoke!

Okay, that's all the news that's fit to print. Chat later today!
Love,

Sam and Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment